Wednesday, September 21, 2011

WKC 11 review

It has almost been two weeks since WKC so I definitely thought I should do a review post now rather than later.

Overall, Women's Convention was a great weekend away. It was the first time I had gone with a group from St Andy's and we had a great time together. It was truly a very womanly weekend - we started by driving up together and having dinner in a pizza place. Then after that we went to Coles to pick up dessert - Yogo! On arrival to the KCC center, we ate our Yogo and got settled into our rooms. It was freezing! So we ended up driving back to Kmart to buy slippers and boots. Over the course of the whole weekend I think we went to Kmart 3 times to do various shopping. We also went out for deluxe hot chocolates, scoured the antique stores, knitted and crocheted.  Fun times!!!




The topic of the weekend was "A life worth living - eyes on the prize, feet on the ground." Cathie Heard and Jane Tooher gave talks from Philippians. Philippians is such a jam packed book and full of great encouragement and challenges. Cathie and Jane gave 4 great talks - but I felt like I wanted more! I guess it is a bit of a big ask to do a whole series on Philippians in 4 sessions. I was challenged to live for Christ above everything and to be willing to die for Christ now, before children and houses and security come. I was encouraged by the fact that God counts us righteous and his righteousness is the most valuable thing we can have.

Here are some quotes that I found helpful from the talks:
- Humility is thinking of yourself less, not thinking less of yourself.
-"To live is Christ and too die is gain" - dying is gain only if you are living for Christ.

There were a number of differences in the conference from previous years. The one that I thought was best was the use of dramatic readers to read the passages. Four women memorised a chapter of Philippians each and recited it to us. Not only did they remember everything word for word, they also put a lot of effort into reading the text with the right emphasis. The way they read also felt like they were reading a letter to friends.

They also had bite-sized segments and video interviews. There was a video of John Piper talking about what a life worth living is like for him. There was also an interview with 3 women on how they lived godly lives in the face of suffering and hardships. There was also a video testimony of the late Deb Lean which was very encouraging. WKC have said that they would upload the videos to their website so once they have I'll post up the link.

Once again I'll say that I really enjoyed WKC 11. To me, WKC is probably one of the best KCC conferences I've been to as they are always faithful to the word and always put a strong emphasis on preaching the Bible. Next years WKC is called "Fuelled by Desire." I'm interested to know what part of the Bible they will look at. Am looking forward to it and hope you (if you are a woman) can join me.

No comments: