Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Genesis 22

I am always astonished when I read Genesis 22. Abraham is 100 years old when his wife Sarah gives birth to his firstborn son, Isaac. Then when Isaac grows up, God tests Abraham by asking him to sacrifice his one and only son.

If I was Abraham would I have done the same? Not only is he your only son, but to make things more awkward, Isaac questions his Dad about the whereabouts of the sacrifice (not knowing that it would be him!). Yet Abraham goes ahead and obeys God, and look at what is said of him:

“Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.” (emphasis mine)

Abraham had a proper fear of God and obeyed God even though it would cost him his only son. Would I have faith in God and obey him like Abraham did?

And because of Abraham's faith he is blessed:

“By myself I have sworn, declares the Lord, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you,
This passage also reminds me of how God offer his son Jesus Christ as an atoning sacrifice for our sins! Jesus also had to trust and obey God to the point of death. And it is through Jesus that we are blessed. Jesus fulfills what is said in Genesis 22:18 -

and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.
 God is someone who we can trust and is a God we should fear and obey. Praise God that it is by grace we have been saved through faith. And this not from ourselves; it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one may boast. (Eph 2:8-9)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

It is indeed a curious and amazing passage. Last time I read it I wondered whether Abraham really thought he would have to sacrifice Isaac, and whether he actually would have... whether he had seen so many wonders of God by that time that he knew God would fulfil his promises one way or another.

I liked how Abraham told Isaac that God would provide the sacrifice, and then he did... one that wasn't Isaac.